I have a plan.. I really DO

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 20:13:07 UTC 2018

On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 19:46:06 UTC, bauss wrote:
> On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 19:42:56 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>>>>

>>> Except it has no Windows support and doesn't look like it
>>> will happen anytime soon. Some people might be living in a
>>> UNIX bubble, but Windows is a big market, and a language
>>> won't make it big without Windows support.
>>
>> Right :)
>>
>> But remember that Crystal is still in its infancy, as it
>> hasn't reached its 1.0 version yet.
>>
>> Parallelism is on its way, and Windows support too...
>>
>> Don't forget that nowadays many (can I say most ?) servers are
>> based on unix variants, so their platform support order looks
>> perfectly fine and logical to me.
>
> Actually a large share of servers run Windows Server and/or
> Azure servers running Windows too.
>
> It's not logical to not support both.
>
> D already has that advantage supporting pretty much every
> platform you can think of.

I agree, but you must compare what is comparable.

Have a look at Crystal's Github project, you will see that
Crystal, still in development and quite far from its 1.0 mile
version (= despite no parallism and windows support, etc) ALREADY
has 11206 stars, 881 forks and 292 contributors :

https://github.com/crystal-lang/crystal

Not bad for a language in its 0.25 version and first released in
June 2014 (4 years), especially compared to D in its 2.0 version
and first released in December 2001 (16 years), whose official
compiler has 1806 stars, 452 forks and 168 contributors :

https://github.com/dlang/dmd

If those numbers means anything, I think its that Crystal is
probably getting popularity much quicker than D, and honestly,
after having tried it, I think it's really deserved, even if I
agree that there are still many things that remain to be
implemented before it's really ready for an official
"production-ready" 1.0 release.