I have a plan.. I really DO

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 06:52:01 UTC 2018

On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 22:59:25 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 20:13:07 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>
>> Have a look at Crystal's Github project, you will see that
>> Crystal, still in development and quite far from its 1.0 mile
>> version (= despite no parallism and windows support, etc)
>> ALREADY has 11206 stars, 881 forks and 292 contributors :
>>
>> https://github.com/crystal-lang/crystal
>>
>> Not bad for a language in its 0.25 version and first released
>> in June 2014 (4 years), especially compared to D in its 2.0
>> version and first released in December 2001 (16 years), whose
>> official compiler has 1806 stars, 452 forks and 168
>> contributors :
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd
>>
>> If those numbers means anything, I think its that Crystal is
>> probably getting popularity much quicker than D, and honestly,
>> after having tried it, I think it's really deserved, even if I
>> agree that there are still many things that remain to be
>> implemented before it's really ready for an official
>> "production-ready" 1.0 release.
>
> Do you by chance work as a manager? Managers like comparisons
> that involve one number, with a higher number being better. I
> don't know what can be learned about D from that comparison and
> I don't think anyone else does either.

That's your opinion.

First, most managers don't become manager by chance, but because
of their skills.

Like being able to take the right decisions, based on facts, not
on personal preferences.

For instance, if a good manager sees that the github project of a
4 years old compiler has been liked by 11206 persons, and the
github project of a 16 years old compiler has been liked by 1806
persons, I think he could probably think that MUCH more people
are interested in the development of the first github project
than in the second.

But if you want to think the opposite, it's perfectly your right,
I've got not problem with that.