I have a plan.. I really DO

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Sat Jun 30 07:11:18 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at 06:52:01 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 22:59:25 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 20:13:07 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>>
>>> Have a look at Crystal's Github project, you will see that
>>> Crystal, still in development and quite far from its 1.0 mile
>>> version (= despite no parallism and windows support, etc)
>>> ALREADY has 11206 stars, 881 forks and 292 contributors :
>>>
>>> https://github.com/crystal-lang/crystal
>>>
>>> Not bad for a language in its 0.25 version and first released
>>> in June 2014 (4 years), especially compared to D in its 2.0
>>> version and first released in December 2001 (16 years), whose
>>> official compiler has 1806 stars, 452 forks and 168
>>> contributors :
>>>
>>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd
>>>
>>> If those numbers means anything, I think its that Crystal is
>>> probably getting popularity much quicker than D, and
>>> honestly, after having tried it, I think it's really
>>> deserved, even if I agree that there are still many things
>>> that remain to be implemented before it's really ready for an
>>> official "production-ready" 1.0 release.
>>
>> Do you by chance work as a manager? Managers like comparisons
>> that involve one number, with a higher number being better. I
>> don't know what can be learned about D from that comparison
>> and I don't think anyone else does either.
>
> That's your opinion.
>
> First, most managers don't become manager by chance, but
> because of their skills.
>
> Like being able to take the right decisions, based on facts,
> not on personal preferences.
>
> For instance, if a good manager sees that the github project of
> a 4 years old compiler has been liked by 11206 persons, and the
> github project of a 16 years old compiler has been liked by
> 1806 persons, I think he could probably think that MUCH more
> people are interested in the development of the first github
> project than in the second.

I'd hope a manager would look at actually meaningful stats like
downloads, rather than just fluffy stats such as "likes":

http://www.somsubhra.com/github-release-stats/?username=crystal-lang&repository=crystal
http://www.somsubhra.com/github-release-stats/?username=ldc-developers&repository=ldc

I see around 9k total downloads of the various Crystal 0.24 and
0.25 versions over the last 8 months, compared to 14k downloads
of the ldc 1.9 compiler alone from two months ago. Of course, all
these stats can be gamed, but I think it'd be hard to argue
Crystal is more popular.