I have a plan.. I really DO

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 07:28:24 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at 07:11:18 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at 06:52:01 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:

>>> Do you by chance work as a manager? Managers like comparisons
>>> that involve one number, with a higher number being better. I
>>> don't know what can be learned about D from that comparison
>>> and I don't think anyone else does either.
>>
>> That's your opinion.
>>
>> First, most managers don't become manager by chance, but
>> because of their skills.
>>
>> Like being able to take the right decisions, based on facts,
>> not on personal preferences.
>>
>> For instance, if a good manager sees that the github project
>> of a 4 years old compiler has been liked by 11206 persons, and
>> the github project of a 16 years old compiler has been liked
>> by 1806 persons, I think he could probably think that MUCH
>> more people are interested in the development of the first
>> github project than in the second.
>
> I'd hope a manager would look at actually meaningful stats like
> downloads, rather than just fluffy stats such as "likes":
>
> http://www.somsubhra.com/github-release-stats/?username=crystal-lang&repository=crystal
> http://www.somsubhra.com/github-release-stats/?username=ldc-developers&repository=ldc
>
> I see around 9k total downloads of the various Crystal 0.24 and
> 0.25 versions over the last 8 months, compared to 14k downloads
> of the ldc 1.9 compiler alone from two months ago. Of course,
> all these stats can be gamed, but I think it'd be hard to argue
> Crystal is more popular.

Obviously you haven't read my post.

No problem, I'll repeat it.

I said that Crystal is probably gaining popularity FASTER than D.

I've never said that Crystal is more used than D.

FYI, D is in the top 50 at the TIOBE index, while Crystal is only
in the top 100.

Of course, you will tell me that these rankings are numbers, and
that a higher number means nothing. Right ?