I have a plan.. I really DO

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Sat Jun 30 07:44:39 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at 07:28:24 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at 07:11:18 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at 06:52:01 UTC, Ecstatic Coder
>> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> I'd hope a manager would look at actually meaningful stats
>> like downloads, rather than just fluffy stats such as "likes":
>>
>> http://www.somsubhra.com/github-release-stats/?username=crystal-lang&repository=crystal
>> http://www.somsubhra.com/github-release-stats/?username=ldc-developers&repository=ldc
>>
>> I see around 9k total downloads of the various Crystal 0.24
>> and 0.25 versions over the last 8 months, compared to 14k
>> downloads of the ldc 1.9 compiler alone from two months ago.
>> Of course, all these stats can be gamed, but I think it'd be
>> hard to argue Crystal is more popular.
>
> Obviously you haven't read my post.
>
> No problem, I'll repeat it.
>
> I said that Crystal is probably gaining popularity FASTER than
> D.
>
> I've never said that Crystal is more used than D.
>
> FYI, D is in the top 50 at the TIOBE index, while Crystal is
> only in the top 100.
>
> Of course, you will tell me that these rankings are numbers,
> and that a higher number means nothing. Right ?

I'll tell you that all data should be carefully vetted before
using it to draw conclusions. For example, I just checked and the
ldc data includes a download for every CI run, which skews it
upwards, but I doubt enough to change my conclusion above:

https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/blob/master/.circleci/config.yml#L62