[OFF TOPIC] State of D 2018 Survey

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Mar 2 13:05:58 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-03-02 at 12:16 +0000, psychoticRabbit via Digitalmars-d-
announce wrote:
> On Friday, 2 March 2018 at 12:02:43 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > On Fri, 2018-03-02 at 11:52 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:
> > > […]
> > > report science, does make science dodgy. But that stray off
> > > topic for
> >
> > […]
> >
> > s/does/does not/
> >
> > Obviously. :-)
>
> mmm...freudian slip??

:-)

> I study science...and what's being taught to us .. is dodgy.

So, one of:

– the teaching is bad;
– the learner is not up to it; or
– both.

Science, in and of itself, cannot be dodgy.

Yes there are debates to be had, cf. Popper, Kuhn, etc. but the
foundation of science is hypotheses, experimentation, and
reproducibility. It can be done badly or well by people, but it is not
a dodgy thing.

> and anyway, since when do D forum discussion stay on topic?

Usually, but then an [OFF-TOPIC] marker gets added in the thread when a
drift occurs.

> C ruleZ!
>
> ..and D does too ;-)
>
> ... and I don't want to hear about Rust.
> So lets agree to never, ever mention that word...ever again.

Perhaps you do not, but Rust, like Go, is getting traction in the world
out there. Like COBOL, C will always be there, but its use will
diminish rapidly.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200