[OFF TOPIC] State of D 2018 Survey

psychoticRabbit meagain at meagain.com
Sat Mar 3 01:45:07 UTC 2018

On Friday, 2 March 2018 at 13:05:58 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

> Science, in and of itself, cannot be dodgy.

science must involve humans, and humans are often dodgy.

> Yes there are debates to be had, cf. Popper, Kuhn, etc. but the
> foundation of science is hypotheses, experimentation, and
> reproducibility. It can be done badly or well by people, but it
> is not a dodgy thing.

there is no science without humans - they are two sides of the
one coin.
If humans can be dodgy, so can science.

> Perhaps you do not, but Rust, like Go, is getting traction in
> the world out there. Like COBOL, C will always be there, but
> its use will diminish rapidly.

Only when hardware becomes significantly faster, will C begin to
fade, as then the case for C diminishes.

I do like the simplicity of Go - and then there are days when I
just hate that simplicity. That R?s? thing...well...it is too odd
for most people to embrace, I think

It is worth keeping an eye on .NET - as Microsoft are very
determined to make this a cross platform runtime, and programming
in C# is just .. nice.

And if I recall correctly, Java and .NET still dominate the
employment opportunities, and as 'safety' is becoming even more
and more important, I think that is likely to stay that way for a
long time to come.

So I think all these new languages will just be playgrounds for
ideas, or become domain specific languages, while .NET and JAVA
use will continue to increase.