State of D 2018 Survey

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Mar 3 16:59:56 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-03-03 at 16:06 +0000, Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d-
announce wrote:
> On Saturday, 3 March 2018 at 15:52:02 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > […]
> >
> > http://www.intropsych.com/ch06_memory/magical_number_seven.html
>
> Won’t load for me(

How annoying. Definitely works for me as they say.

It's a 2007 chapter from an introduction to psychology, the first
sensible link that came up via a DuckDuckGo search. There are a variety
of other places to look. Here's another.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/short-term-memory.html

> Anyhow far as I can tell it is a measure of how many entities
> simultaniously you can hold in your attention, such objects in a
> picture frame.

It's a 1956 paper by Miller that claims 7 is the magic number for short
term memory, the number of chunks of stuff you can keep for a certain
period. A chunk is not a defined thing such as characters or words, but
they are examples.  I am not sure what the experimental status is of
this "theory", but I suspect no-one has disproved it as yet.

> This doesn’t represent long-term memory or other capacities,
> which is likely the case here.

Exactly.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200