State of D 2018 Survey

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Mar 5 20:52:10 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-03-04 at 21:12 +0000, Kagamin via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:
> On Friday, 2 March 2018 at 12:01:33 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > So having D2.999 is fine per se, but advertises a lack of
> > change and a lack of ambition since the language name is D not
> > D2.
>
> D just doesn't follow semver. If it did, we would have D79 now,
> nothing else even comes close to this. And I suspect it won't
> adopt semver because major number would be so ridiculously high
> and will advertize something else.

I do not see your reasoning here. Has the core D computational model
changed? I think not. Does D issue bugfix releases? Occasionally. Thus:

2.79.0

seems like a perfectly reasonable semantic version number for D.

> > Fortran, C++, and Java show an obsessive adherence to backward
> > compatibility and yet they increase their major numbers to give
> > the appearance at least of forward progress.
>
> C++ and Fortran don't have version numbers, those are brand
> numbers.

Actually no, they are standards version numbers. Once you have an ISO
standard for a programming language semantic versioning is impossible,
but the standard number is the version number.

On the other hand this is trivia and so shouldn't become a Big Issue™.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200