Release D 2.079.0

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 23:40:35 UTC 2018

On Monday, 5 March 2018 at 17:47:13 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Monday, 5 March 2018 at 15:16:14 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> On Saturday, 3 March 2018 at 01:50:25 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
>>> Glad to announce D 2.079.0.
>>>
>>> This release comes with experimental `@nogc` exception
>>> throwing (-dip1008), a lazily initialized GC, better support
>>> for minimal runtimes, and an experimental Windows toolchain
>>> based on the lld linker and MinGW import libraries. See the
>>> changelog for more details.
>>>
>>> Thanks to everyone involved in this 👏
>>> https://dlang.org/changelog/2.079.0.html#contributors.
>>>
>>> http://dlang.org/download.html
>>> http://dlang.org/changelog/2.079.0.html
>>>
>>> - -Martin
>>
>> Is is just me or did this release just break the latest
>> non-beta vibe.d? Is the Jenkins build testing the dub packages
>> on master instead of the latest tag?
>>
>> Atila
>
> https://github.com/vibe-d/vibe.d/issues/2058

It's great that there's an issue for vibe.

This doesn't change the fact that right now, somebody trying D
for the 1st time with the latest official compiler will get an
error if they try out the most popular dub package that I know of
if they follow the instructions on code.dlang.org.

It also doesn't change that I can't upgrade dmd on our CI at work
because it can't compile vibe unless I change dozens of dub.sdl
files to use a beta version. This breaks semver!

I found out about this after removing a dependency on
stdx.data.json since dmd >= 2.078.0 broke it (by breaking
taggedalgebraic. Yes, I filed a bug.). I can upgrade from 2.077.1
to 2.078.3,but not 2.079.0.

I'd have a snowball's chance in hell convincing anyone at a
"regular" company of adopting D if anyone there even imagined any
of the above could happen.

We have to do better than this.

Atila