Release D 2.079.0

Sönke Ludwig sludwig+d at outerproduct.org
Tue Mar 6 00:10:52 UTC 2018

Am 06.03.2018 um 00:40 schrieb Atila Neves:
> (...)
>
> This doesn't change the fact that right now, somebody trying D for the
> 1st time with the latest official compiler will get an error if they try
> out the most popular dub package that I know of if they follow the
> instructions on code.dlang.org.
>
> It also doesn't change that I can't upgrade dmd on our CI at work
> because it can't compile vibe unless I change dozens of dub.sdl files to
> use a beta version. This breaks semver!
>
> I found out about this after removing a dependency on stdx.data.json
> since dmd >= 2.078.0 broke it (by breaking taggedalgebraic. Yes, I filed
> a bug.). I can upgrade from 2.077.1 to 2.078.3,but not 2.079.0.
>
> I'd have a snowball's chance in hell convincing anyone at a "regular"
> company of adopting D if anyone there even imagined any of the above
> could happen.
>
> We have to do better than this.
>
> Atila

I tagged a RC today:
https://forum.rejectedsoftware.com/groups/rejectedsoftware.vibed/thread/49899/

To avoid letting this sit broken I'll shorten the final testing phase,
so that the release happens this Thursday. This is a bit unfortunate,
because this release is a bit more disruptive than normal due to the
switch to using vibe-core by default. So early testing with "dub upgrade
--prerelease" in different projects is particularly valuable this time!

BTW, the problems with this release are a strong hint that we should
rethink the inclusion approach with std.experimental. Since breaking
changes are tied to the DMD version, it makes those modules almost
unusable outside of toy code. Having them as a DUB package (or in
essence, in a separate repository) on the other hand nicely decouples
them from the compiler release and makes it possible to properly version
them individually.