Release D 2.079.0

Jack Stouffer jack at jackstouffer.com
Tue Mar 6 20:50:37 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 at 12:21:41 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> That being said, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to have
> std.experimental be in its own repository. This allows
> selection of the dependency on std.experimental separate from
> phobos. It still would be an "official" dlang package, and
> might even be included in the distribution (the latest version
> anyway), and docs included on the website. But if needed, you
> could have your dub package depend on a prior version.

The entire concept needs a reexamination IMO. I just checked the
git history, and not one module has graduated from
std.experimental to mainline Phobos since the idea's inception in
2014. While it's possible that none of the modules are ready,
logger has been there for four years now. I was against changing
how experimental is handled in the past, but I recently have
started to rethink how we promote modules.

Also, if you'll allow me to have crazy ideas for a moment, one
wonders why we shouldn't just release Phobos itself through dub?
Rust makes people use their build tool, why not us?