Release D 2.079.0

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Mar 7 14:20:54 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 03:58:38PM +1300, rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On 07/03/2018 2:54 PM, psychoticRabbit wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 at 20:50:37 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> > >
> > > Also, if you'll allow me to have crazy ideas for a moment, one
> > > wonders why we shouldn't just release Phobos itself through dub?
> > > Rust makes people use their build tool, why not us?
> >
> > That's the day I stop using D.
> >
> > I do not, and will not, use dub. Full stop.
> >
> > Same goes for Rust ;-)
>
> Under such arrangement nobody is forcing you to use dub.
> We wouldn't break distribution or usage of dmd just because of
> changing a make file to dub. That's just silly.

It will force everyone who compiles dmd from source to use dub. It's not
the end of the world, but I for one will not be too happy about it. Not
to mention, it will introduce bootstrapping issues to Phobos, since dub
itself depends on Phobos (again, solvable, but can be a potential source
of trouble).

Don't get stuck in a closet---wear yourself out.