Release D 2.079.0

Sönke Ludwig sludwig+d at outerproduct.org
Wed Mar 7 14:53:09 UTC 2018

Am 07.03.2018 um 13:57 schrieb Paolo Invernizzi:
> On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 at 10:13:29 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>
>> Well, for all of the recent releases we made sure that there was no
>> breakage for new compiler versions. This release was an exception,
>> because I didn't manage to put out the fixed release in time. The plan
>> is to have all future releases go back to the normal mode where the
>> new compiler version always works.
>>
>> Since std.experimental isn't involved from now on, it shouldn't even
>> be necessary anymore to put out new vibe.d releases for new DMD
>> versions, because DMD/Phobos already checks for regressions against
>> vibe.d and all breaking changes should simply result in a deprecation
>> warning.
>
> That's fine, thanks.
>
>> As for the versioning scheme, currently almost all new releases have
>> some small breaking change or deprecation. If I'd use the "minor"
>> version for that, then there would be no way to signal that a release
>> makes broad and more disruptive changes, such as the 0.8.0 release.
>> But all of this will change, as the remaining parts get pushed to
>> separate repositories one-by-one, with their own version starting at
>> 1.0.0.
>
> I understand your reasoning, but there's value in being able to just
> rapidly fix something with a new release, or just port some master
> bug-fixes into a released version branch.
>
> DMD is experiencing a very enjoyable release process of patch versions,
> thanks to Martin and the team.
>
> It your concern is only related to the best way to inform the users
> about a broad and disruptive change in vibe-d, I suggest to simply use
> the usual channels for that, change logs and announce forum.
>
> My impression is that there's a lot of value in using patch for patch,
> instead of using patch for development, also in a zero major, so I maybe
> you should consider that change, or at least, investigate a little about
> that opportunity.
>
> /Paolo

But why wouldn't it be possible to make a quick bugfix release with the
current scheme? It has happened in the past. Granted, if a 0.8.5-beta.1
is already tagged, then using 0.8.5 for a quick intermediate release
would be bad, but at that point the beta could likely also be turned
into a full release pretty quickly.

But the point is that the development mode is currently still happening
in a linear fashion. Starting to have (a) stable branch(es) with
additional point releases would increase the overhead to a point where
there wouldn't be any meaningful progress anymore, at least at this time.

Then there is the fact that 0.8.0 was developed in a parallel branch for
quite a while. If the minor version would have been used to denote
regular small updates, it would not have been possible to tag alpha/beta
releases on the 0.8.x branch at all.