Release D 2.079.0

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Mar 7 17:02:50 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 02:53:17PM +0000, Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 at 14:20:54 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > It will force everyone who compiles dmd from source to use dub. It's
> > not the end of the world, but I for one will not be too happy about
> > it.
>
> IMO, much better than forcing everyone to compile with make, which I'm
> not too happy about :-)

Touché. :-D  The good thing is that make is pretty much guaranteed to
exist in all OS installations (except Windows perhaps? But pretty much
anywhere a compiler toolchain is installed), whereas dub isn't.

Seriously, I would be much happier with a D build tool. Dub is not a bad
package manager, though it could be better, but IMO it does a poor job
at being a general build system.  If it were only made more configurable
and less insistent about everything being required to be done its way or
the highway, having Phobos distributed as a dub package wouldn't be so
bad.

But who knows. Maybe being forced to use dub to build Phobos would
finally provide the motivation for people to improve dub as a build
tool. But AIUI there are some fundamental design assumptions built into
dub that basically makes it impossible to fix some of these issues
without pretty much rewriting it from ground up.  Because of this, I
have not found myself particularly inclined to actually look at its
code.

What is Matter, what is Mind? Never Mind, it doesn't Matter.