Vision document for H1 2018

psychoticRabbit meagain at meagain.com
Sun Mar 11 01:10:28 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 00:36:19 UTC, Dylan Graham wrote:

> Every day D becomes more like C++ 2.0, why can't it just be D?

Oddly enough, I think this is D's strength.

Golang tried to draw the line, and look where that got it. Now
it's a limited language for a specific domain  (at least until Go
3.0).

Rust decided (and Go to some extent), to introduce foreign syntax
that was vastly different to what the majority of programmers are
familiar with, and, it makes it difficult to transistion to
because its syntax is so unlike the syntax most people will
continue to have to work with.

D's strength, is that most C/C++/Java/C# programmers can just
jump right in and use it. And, they can continue to go back and
forth without syntax related psychosis developing.

betterc is just another way of supporting that crowd..and it's a
very big crowd.

Your problem is not betterc, but something else. So focus on that
instead.

And personally, depending on the problem, C# is better to program
in than D. I still don't know why C# programmers are willing to
give up C# and prefer to use D.
C# is vastly surperior for what it does.

D is also particulary useful for some problems.

Better to use both, not one or the other.

Thanks to not being Go or Rust, you can do that - cause concepts,
syntax  etc, are really compatible with both.