Vision document for H1 2018

Dylan Graham dylan.graham2000 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 01:18:52 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 01:06:08 UTC, R wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 00:36:19 UTC, Dylan Graham wrote:
>> Well, no. I'm more concerned with the fact that the D Language
>> Foundation is focused on BetterC, yet does not mention DLLs at
>> all.
>>
>> For God's sake, if D is the future, why does it continue to
>> leech off C/C++? Other languages like Rust and C# only have
>> basic function calling C (FFI/PInvoke) yet are way more
>> popular. I get the feeling that most of the C++ programmers
>> who would come to D have already done so.
>>
>> The most I'll ever need of interfacing with C and C++ is to be
>> able to call their functions from D. I've no reason for
>> BetterC.
>>
>> And what's with the language design, anyway? D has been
>> designed with features that C++ programmers don't want, then
>> now the D Language Foundation is wasting effort to change the
>> language to rope those programmers in? If D was meant to be
>> C++ 2.0, shouldn't it have been designed that way from the
>> start?
>>
>> I came to D from a C# background. I was looking a language
>> that had a GC, was awesome to program in and was very fast.
>> Why can't D own up to these facts, rather than becoming a
>> leech of C++?
>>
>> Every day D becomes more like C++ 2.0, why can't it just be D?
>
> Point to the wall on the left side. That is what your talking
> to. D its focus on C++ as a bad plan has been made pushed by
> many people ( lots who left ). Its like asking Go for Generics.

Yeah. It quite seems like that. Maybe after BetterC will the
foundation get its priorities right.

> And its very nice to see the "71% in the poll do not want
> BetterC", well, screw them comment. So what is the point again
> by asking people opinions? And sure, BetterC can be reused to
> improve the D core but that is not what people want NOW. And
> yet, its a priority when 71% say its not!

Didn't BetterC start before the poll was issued? I hope that more
polls like this are created in the future so that the leadership
knows where it's priorities are based upon community demands.

> D simply is not equipped for dealing with people who come from
> languages like C#, Ruby, PHP, Python, ... because too many
> people here are C++ old timers ( yes, there are exceptions )
> and they only think in that direction.
>
> Kind of ironic when D keeps pushing for more features hoping
> that it will attract C++ developers and the young kid on the
> block Rust is already eating up that market. And "scripting"
> language like PHP, that everybody criticizes just keeps growing
> and gained 11% market share in the last 7 years ( at now 83% ).
> Where as D its gain has been minimalist thanks to people
> leaving almost as fast as it gain.
>
> There is a lesson the be learned in this somewhere...

I wholeheartedly agree, but I believe this direction is because
that the "C++ old timers" are in the leadership. I don't think
there are "too many" in the community.

I also wish to point out that I'm not attacking Walter or Alex; I
love the language they've created, but I'm fairly annoyed with
their allocation of resources. They need to stick by the language
they've created.