Vision document for H1 2018

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sun Mar 11 17:15:28 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 16:15:22 UTC, rumbu wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 14:37:28 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> And this clarifies the source of your confusion. The D
>> programming language is an open source project, not a
>> for-profit company. D is not the language you're looking for.
>
> There are 3 years since C# is also open source project. Last
> week 72 pull requests form 24 contributors were merged on
> ~master. And this is only for Roslyn (the C# compiler).

Don't forget that "open source" != non-profit. For the C#
compiler there's a dedicated team of full-time developers.

Also to be fair, the activity on dmd isn't that low either though
the last week was a one with low-traffic:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pulse

Typically ~40 PRs get merged per PR for dmd alone:

https://auto-tester.puremagic.com/chart.ghtml?projectid=1

With druntime + phobos, it's a lot more.

> The difference (at least for me) is that contributing to C# is
> a no-brainer. Contributing to D needs an advanced degree in
> computer science. Using the information on the D wiki didn't
> helped me until now to successfully compile and test a fresh
> copy of dmd or phobos.

I assume you are using Windows?
Setup on Posix is really simple.
git clone all three repos + run make.

There's also a bash script to automate this:

https://github.com/dlang/tools/blob/master/setup.sh

 From what I heard it's a bit tricky on Windows. I only tried with
wine and that worked out-of-the-box for me. Execute the DMD
installer, set PATH, DM_HOME and HOST_DC and then run the win32
makefiles work fine.

What could be done from your perspective to make the setup easier?