Vision document for H1 2018

psychoticRabbit meagain at meagain.com
Mon Mar 12 04:48:43 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 16:15:22 UTC, rumbu wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 14:37:28 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> And this clarifies the source of your confusion. The D
>> programming language is an open source project, not a
>> for-profit company. D is not the language you're looking for.
>
> There are 3 years since C# is also open source project. Last
> week 72 pull requests form 24 contributors were merged on
> ~master. And this is only for Roslyn (the C# compiler).
>
> The difference (at least for me) is that contributing to C# is
> a no-brainer. Contributing to D needs an advanced degree in
> computer science. Using the information on the D wiki didn't
> helped me until now to successfully compile and test a fresh
> copy of dmd or phobos.

Hey.. I feel your pain.. I like things to be easy too ;-)

but I think comparing things in the C# world, to things in the D
world, does not make a lot of sense, really.

It's like comparing my local corner shop to some worldwide
supermarket chain.

What's the point in going into the local corner shop and
complaing that they don't stock this or that, but the supermarket
down the road does. Or complaining that they charge $4 for a loaf
of bread, when down the road at the supermarket it only costs
$2.50.

You have to compare apples with apples, not apples with shiny red
toffee apples ;-)