Vision document for H1 2018

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Mon Mar 12 04:54:22 UTC 2018

On Monday, March 12, 2018 03:37:11 Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 19:58:51 UTC, rumbu wrote:
> > On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 17:15:28 UTC, Seb wrote:
> >> [...]
> >
> > Yes, I'm the typical lazy convenient Windows user scared of the
> > terminal window.
> >
> >> [...]
> >
> > I am happy for Posix users. Theoretically the process is the
> > same on Windows.
> >
> >> [...]
> >
> > This will need Linux subsystem as a Windows feature installed.
> > Bash scripts do not work on Windows. Or other third party
> > applications that are not listed as prerequisites on wiki.
> >
> >> [...]
> >
> > make -fwin32.mak release
> > Error: don't know how to make 'release'
> >
> > Ok, let's skip this, make it without "release".
> >
> > Now test it:
> >
> > cd test
> > make all -j8
> > Command error: undefined switch '-j8'
>
> Why are you adding -j8 ? Does it say to do so in the instructions
> ? Try without it.  (I can't test here as typing from my phone).

When dealing with building on Windows, it would definitely pay to read the
instructions and not assume anything about make, since unfortunately, the
Windows build uses the digital mars make, which is severely limited in
comparison to the BSD make or GNU make.

- Jonathan M Davis