Vision document for H1 2018

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 03:13:53 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 at 01:23:39 UTC, psychoticRabbit wrote:
> hey... I have 25+ years experience as a systems administator.
>
> i.e I'm very, very used to doing very complex things. complex,
> is my day at the office.
>
> But even I couldn't get my head around how to compile D from
> source on Windows ;-)
>
> I do have it compling just fine on my freebsd system, and
> multiple different linux's I use. But Windows? Forget it.
> Someone will need to explain in detail how that is actually
> done - I no longer have the patience for working that one out.

As a counterpoint, I _did_ manage to compile DMD, Phobos and
Druntime on Windows as a lowly university student using only the
instructions from the wiki, and I'm no genius. It _is_ possible
and not very difficult as long as you follow the instructions to
the letter.

Of course this was also before you needed to have HOST_DC defined
in your path, and the repo layout was a bit different, but it's
not an insurmountable problem. And if you run into problems, you
can come here or go on IRC to ask for help.