Vision document for H1 2018

psychoticRabbit meagain at meagain.com
Fri Mar 16 01:45:57 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 15 March 2018 at 18:39:08 UTC, rumbu wrote:
> My quote is out of context. Somebody asked surprised why C#
> developers are interested in D. For me (mainly a C# developer),
> this is the main reason: native compilation (and this includes
> memory management). I highlighted the fact that the C# team
> keep implementing D specific ideas in each new version, so
> don't be surprised if your list of D exclusive features becomes
> smaller with each new C# iteration. My complaint was the fact
> that D drops features or push them into library solutions.

That was me ;-)

Yeah..native compilation is so nice..it's hard to resist.
And so is a good GC implementation (does D have one of those ??)

btw. run your C# or Java program for long enough, and it's
essentially native compiled anyway. When I run some of my java
programs, I still don't know how 'native compilation' would make
it go any faster (noticably). Same goes for my C# Windows Forms
apps..they just fly...native compilation wouldn't add much.

btw C# has had slices since day 1. Just required an extra
forklift or two - as opposed to taking it off the nearby shelf.

-------------
using System;
using System.IO;

public class Program
{
     public static int Main()
     {
         int[] arr = { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 };
         int[] sliceOfArr = arr.Slice(2, 3);

         Console.WriteLine(string.Join(", ", arr));
         Console.WriteLine(string.Join(", ", sliceOfArr));

         return 0;

public static class Utils
{
     public static T[] Slice<T>(this T[] arr, int start, int len)
     {
         T[] slice  = new T[len];
         Array.Copy(arr, start, slice, 0, len);
         return slice;