Vision document for H1 2018

rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Fri Mar 16 21:38:30 UTC 2018

On Friday, 16 March 2018 at 15:04:21 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Thursday, 15 March 2018 at 16:03:14 UTC, rumbu wrote:
>> Are you sure that you are talking about phobos and not tango?
>> :)
>> I'm eager to find how I'm uninformed.
>
> Tango doesn't use UFCS, while phobos and .net framework are big
> on extension methods. Also tango uses object oriented console
> IO, while phobos and .net framework use procedural style for it.

Do you know anything else in the .net library than LINQ where
extension methods (somehow equivalent to UFCS) are abused? I
thought that something happened in the .net world while I was
asleep, that's why I just searched my local copy of .net core and
there are exactly 198 extension methods. I would not call these
"big".

The Tango remark was just a pun (R.I.P.), since it looked 90%
similar to .net. And what would make Tango unusable with UFCS? Is
it not written in D?

Last time I checked, .net Console was an enormous static class
with three Stream objects behind the scenes.

When I said that phobos looks like a mess compared to .net lib I
referred especially to the poor choice of names (eg. RedBlackTree
vs SortedDictionary) and lack of essential stuff (eg. happy to
have levenshteinDistance built in, but I cannot sort correctly
two strings in any other language than English).