Vision document for H1 2018

Radu void at null.pt
Sun Mar 18 10:28:58 UTC 2018

On Friday, 16 March 2018 at 18:15:02 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Thursday, 15 March 2018 at 10:48:45 UTC, Radu wrote:
>> You have to remember that the really big first client of
>> betterC(++) was DMD, porting DMD from C++ was a big
>> undertaking. Right now both DMD and LDC use a form of betterC,
>> so it is critical to have it finalized.
>
> This is entirely wrong. DMD and LDC rely extern(C++), but this
> has nothing to do with -betterC whatsoever.
>
> Both compilers link and initialise the runtime as normal (and
> then disable the GC at runtime).
>
>  — David

I stand corrected. I remembered something about druntime being
used but last time I checked front end code was filled with
strcpm and strlen, wrongly assumed that druntime was not used. Oh
well...

Still, probably D compilers will benefit from fixing mangling
bugs and allow more integration with C++ std, right?