Vision document for H1 2018

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Mon Mar 19 16:50:45 UTC 2018

On Friday, 16 March 2018 at 21:38:30 UTC, rumbu wrote:
> Do you know anything else in the .net library than LINQ where
> extension methods (somehow equivalent to UFCS) are abused? I
> thought that something happened in the .net world while I was
> asleep, that's why I just searched my local copy of .net core
> and there are exactly 198 extension methods. I would not call
> these "big".

It's big because linq is perceptionally big in itself similar to
how std.algorithm is big. It's also design pattern in C#: if you
want a complex interface method with simplified overloads, you
don't declare interface with many overloads, you declare one
interface method that takes all parameters and a number of
simplified extension methods that forward to interface, Unity
container and Rhino mocks are designed this way.

> Last time I checked, .net Console was an enormous static class
> with three Stream objects behind the scenes.

That's also how D console IO works.

> When I said that phobos looks like a mess compared to .net lib
> I referred especially to the poor choice of names (eg.
> RedBlackTree vs SortedDictionary) and lack of essential stuff
> (eg. happy to have levenshteinDistance built in, but I cannot
> sort correctly two strings in any other language than English).

That's true, naming is a little complex.