Why think unit tests should be in their own source code hierarchy instead of side-by-side

Tony tonytdominguez at aol.com
Sat Mar 24 01:54:27 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 24 March 2018 at 01:15:46 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote

> A number of us have nothing good to say about TDD.

That's fine. That's why they have menus in restaurants. But
saying it is an inferior method is different than saying it won't
work or can't be used in a maintenance situation.

wrote:

>> But as far as whether or not it can be done with maintenance
>> code, my original reply that mentioned it was to someone who
>> appeared to be talking about a new project not getting
>> everything tested, not a maintenance project. So saying "can't
>> do it for maintenance" doesn't even apply to my reply.
>
> You were replying to H. S. Teoh talking about adding tests to
> an existing project, in which case, it's very much about
> maintenance.

I said my "original reply", meaning the one where I first
mentioned Test-Driven Development. That was to something that
Steven Schveighoffer said (although I did not reply directly to
his message, but replied to his comment that was still in H.S.
Teoh's message):

"I've worked on a project where the testing was separated from
the code, and it was a liability IMO. Things would get missed and
not tested properly."

He doesn't explicitly specify development or maintenance, but I
assume it was development.