Vulkan ErupteD breaking changes and transition strategy

ParticlePeter ParticlePeter at gmx.de
Mon Mar 26 18:38:47 UTC 2018

On Monday, 26 March 2018 at 12:22:25 UTC, Anton Fediushin wrote:
> On Monday, 26 March 2018 at 11:13:03 UTC, ParticlePeter wrote:

[snip]
>> Here I was hoping for a little more attentive reading, the
>> bugfix (if any bugs happen in the end) for v1.1.70 would be
>> v1.1.71 (as in "point seven ONE") -bugfix.1. I would hope for
>> community colaboration to always use prerelease. Not sure if
>> this is the best idea, as it cannot be specified in dub
>> dependency afaics, but only on dub upgrade. That might
>> actually be expecting to much from users. I'll think about it.
>
> But then 1.1.71 without `-bugfix.1` will be a binding to vulkan
> v1.1.71? That doesn't make any sense.

Actually, for me it does, afaik we can put whatever into the
pre-release names, so this would work for me:
v1.1.71-bugfix.1.1.70.1
It informs me that v1.1.71 is on its way but we are fixing 1.1.70
bugs before that.

>> Dah again, no it cannot. Could it be that you are talking
>> about DEPRECATED ErupteD? Please compare [0] and [1], and
>> their project names.
>
> I'm talking about erupted-v1.

I think you have old ErupteD modules in your ErupteD-V1 source
directory. Please try to remove them and re-fetch E-V1.

[snip]

>>> Because dub can notify about new version. That's why it
>>> exists in the first place
>>
>> Sorry, here I cannot follow any more, so why are you using it
>> then as a submodule again?
>
> Erupted_v1 has a configuration which uses old derelict-util.
> Even though I use derelict-glfw to load vulkan, dub downloads
> both old derelict-util and the new one used by derelict-glfw.
> This results in warnings because versions mismatch (erupted
> wants old one while derelict-glfw uses newest).

That's not what I meant. I don't understand why you use ErupteD
as dub project AND as submodule. I don't see the advantage of
this approach. More specific, if you rely on dub informing you
that a new version is out, why use it as a submodule?

> I opened an issue about erupted-v2 on linux as well:
> https://github.com/ParticlePeter/Erupted-V2/issues/1

Fixed, but the next issue is waiting already. Maybe not the best
idea after all. Anyway, lets try the pre-rlease suggestion :-)

>> The GREATER Plan - as promised
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> I want to evolve and learn more about techniques which I have
>> never touched before. This is already great I would think. But
>> fun aside, I would like to look into full automation.
>>
>> 1.) get informed about vulkan-docs updates, trigger automated
>> build process with V-Erupt. Is this possible? Don't know, want
>> to find out.
>
> I think it is possible.
>
>> 2.) setup auto testing for ErupteD-V2. If fail, get informed.
>> Else apply version tag, the same as vulkan-docs. Is this
>> possible? Don't know, want to find out.
>
> It is possible but tests are required. More tests - better.

That's the plan, and that's the reason ErupteD-V1 exists as
fallback.