A bit more Emscripten

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 09:51:11 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 at 08:53:36 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

> I heard there was a bit of general interest on the subject, so
> would be interesting to hear about more potential use cases.

I've been recently assigned the task of building a web-based
Ladder Logic editor/compiler
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_logic). This would not be a
short-lived application, however.

I'd like to use D so I can take advantage of its fantastic
modeling features to help manage the complexity of building such
tool.  It would also be more familiar, and therefore more
productive, for me to use a language like D, so I don't have to
do so much study and figuring to implement my ideas in
Javascript, or learn some new
API/framework/library/tool/whatever.  One of my primary
motivations for learning D is to avoid having to learn a
different programming language for every different platform or
problem domain:  modeling power, modern convenience, and native
efficiency are the trifecta for me (we should have kept that
motto, IMO).  Add some platform independence, and I'm extremely
happy.

For now, unfortunately, it looks like I'll probably be using
primarily Javascript and C#.

I'm not sure if I would be much help with this, but know that
there is demand for it.  I think the difficult part would be
porting the D runtime to "browser" environment, and I'm not sure
what's involved with that, especially given all platform
dependencies that the runtime is currently bound to.

Mike