Dioinformatic Challenges: Implement Needleman-Wunsch and Smith-Waterman algorithms

biocyberman biocyberman at gmail.com
Tue May 8 22:28:22 UTC 2018

Hello D community.

Just been back for a great Dconf2018. I got some feedback, and it
took me some time to collect information and put the challenges
here.

As you may know, I posted these challenges in the "Learn" forum,
but found out that it is better to post here in "announce". I am
doing it for fun, for learning purpose, and for bringing up
attention of D community to bioinformatics. It is not to hire and
pay someone for their solutions. So, please don't mind if the
amount of money for the prize is small to you:)

A new deadline is also applied: 23:00 GMT+2, Saturday, 9 June
2018. That means we have about a month. Do your timing well and
solve the challenges well :)

Ask anything you need to know.

Please see below for more details.

Implement Needleman–Wunsch and Smith–Waterman algorithm
══════════════════════════════
   • Introduction about alignment problems:
[http://bit.do/seqalign] (notes) and
     [http://bit.do/alignslides] (slides) or search on wikipedia.
   • Send zipped source code of the solution via email to
"biocyberman at gmail dot com" with "DAC2018" in the subject line.
   • Implement in D.
   • See more details about these two challenges here:
https://github.com/bioslaD/algorithms.bio/blob/master/dac2018/ChallengeGuide.md
   • Wining criteria: Combination of readability, reusability,
     scalability and speed
   • License: GPLv3. I will publish the solutions on Github.
   • Prize: USD100+ (more if others also want to sponsor?) for
each problem (global or local aligment), sent via Papal.
   • Deadline: 23:00 GMT+2, Saturday, 9 June 2018.