A bit more Emscripten

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu May 10 06:22:16 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 at 08:53:36 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> I heard there was a bit of general interest on the subject, so
> would be interesting to hear about more potential use cases.

Like Franklin, I am programming a web page. It works fully with
script, even the html elements are described in the script, not
at the html document. Since JavaScript sucks as a source
language, I use Bridge.NET to compile C# to it. From day one I
decided that if my web page needs custom server code someday,
Vibe.d is the first thing I will look at.

With so much logic on client-side, it is a tempting thought to
use D there too. I have made a few test runs with LDC/Emscripten,
but the biggest problem is unability to call most HTML element
logic directly. Emsrcipten does have a c++ module to call custom
JS classes, I am going to try it with Calypso someday.

This work is not exactly what I was looking for, as if I can call
JavaScript I'll be able to call it's functions which should
remove most of the need for a runtime, memory management excluded.

Definitely I can see it useful and worth following nonetheless:
It will make porting a desktop application to a web page easier,
or vice-versa. It's a tantalizing thought that one could start
developing an application and only later decide whether a browser
will host it or no. Of course, this would for most cases require
a GUI that works in both enviroments.