iopipe v0.0.4 - RingBuffers!

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 16:07:26 UTC 2018

>> However, this example *does* show the power of iopipe -- it handles
>> all flavors of unicode with one template function, is quite
>> straightforward (though I want to abstract the line tracking code,
>> that stuff is really tricky to get right). Oh, and it's roughly 10x
>> faster than grep, and a bunch faster than fgrep, at least on my
>> machine ;) I'm tempted to add regex processing to see if it still
>> beats grep.
>
> Shameful note: Macos grep is BSD grep, and is not NEARLY as fast as GNU
> grep, which has much better performance (and is 2x as fast as
> iopipe_search on my Linux VM, even when printing line numbers).
>
> So at least there is something to strive for :)

More testing reveals that as I increase the context lines to print,
iopipe performs better than GNU grep. A shocking thing is that at 9
lines of context, grep goes up slightly, but all of a sudden at 10 lines
of context, it doubles in the time taken (and is now slower than the
iopipe_search).

Also noting: my Linux VM does not have ldc, so these are dmd numbers.

-Steve