iopipe v0.0.4 - RingBuffers!

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Fri May 11 16:53:06 UTC 2018

On Friday, 11 May 2018 at 15:44:04 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:

> Shameful note: Macos grep is BSD grep, and is not NEARLY as
> fast as GNU grep, which has much better performance (and is 2x
> as fast as iopipe_search on my Linux VM, even when printing
> line numbers).

Yeah, the MacOS default versions of the Unix text processing
tools are really slow. It's worth installing the GNU versions if
doing performance comparisons on MacOS, or because you work with
large files. Homebrew and MacPorts both have the GNU versions.
Some relevant packages: coreutils, grep, gsed (sed), gawk (awk).

Most tools are in coreutils. Many will be installed with a 'g'
prefix by default, leaving the existing tools in place. e.g.
'cut' will be installed as 'gcut' unless specified otherwise.

--Jon