vibe.d 0.7.33 maintenance release

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Fri May 18 14:00:19 UTC 2018

On Friday, 18 May 2018 at 13:46:45 UTC, Márcio Martins wrote:
> On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 at 08:48:15 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>> Being the final public release on the 0.7.x branch, this
>> version on DMD 2.068.2 up to DMD 2.080.0 and LDC 1.9.0. It
>> includes some major fixes and improvements backported from the
>> 0.8.x branch. Since this marks the last 0.7.x release, all
>> code depending on it should now be upgraded to 0.8.3 or later.
>>
>> Change log:
>> <http://vibed.org/blog/posts/vibe-release-0.7.33>
>>
>> DUB package:
>> <https://code.dlang.org/packages/vibe-d/0.7.32>
>
> Comparing with 0.7.x, how production-ready would you say the
> 0.8.x branch is, and what are the main advantages?
>
> Thank you for the awesome work!

I think I can try to answer this for you.
0.8.x has been in production use for almost a year now.

There have been tons of improvements in the API, performance and
new functionality, so it's hard to boil down individual items.
The full changelog is here:

http://vibed.org/blog/posts/vibe-release-0.8.0

The biggest change is probably that 0.8 now uses subpackages and
the new vibe-core package is available for opt-in usage.
Vibe-core is a pure D replacement of the old libevent-based
event-handling (that's simplified because the actual logic is
done by eventcore and it contains more functionality too).
Anyhow, there have been a few regressions when vibe.d switched to
use the new vibe-core in 0.8.3, but funnily it also fixed quite a
few existing issues with libevent.
So tl;dr: it's safe to upgrade and if you run into any immediate
troubles, stick to the old libevent for one or two releases (it
can be selected via the vibe-core subconfiguration).