smile.amazon.com Promotion

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Thu Nov 1 05:26:06 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 1 November 2018 at 03:18:44 UTC, SealabJaster wrote:
> On Monday, 29 October 2018 at 16:40:20 UTC, FooledDonor wrote:
>> On Monday, 29 October 2018 at 16:01:38 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>>> One of the easiest ways to support the D Language Foundation
>>> is using smile.amazon.com when you make a purchase. Until Nov
>>> 2, they're running a special where they're donating 5% (10
>>> times the usual amount) you buy through AmazonSmile.
>>>
>>> smile.amazon.com/ch/47-5352856
>>
>> Perhaps a fundamental principle is not clear enough at the
>> foundation: transparency.
>>
>> Where is the vision of the third and fourth quarter? Where are
>> the deliveries of things in the pipeline? What is the progress
>> of the various jobs started?
>>
>> Which people is funding, with how much money and for what
>> expected results?
>> Where is the newCTFE? Was the work on this point financed by
>> the foundation?
>>
>> I've never seen a report on the state of affairs, neither from
>> the president, nor from Andrei, nor from Walter.
>>
>> How do you hope to obtain trust and funding, if NO one even
>> deigns to give the least development plan or feedback on past
>> developments?
>>
>> It seems that everyone has locked up in their ivory tower ...
>
> It's kind of discouraging to see that your post, as well as
> another thread asking something similar regarding the vision
> document[1] have gone unanswered...
>
> Maybe the people who could answer these things just don't see
> them, or maybe they're purposefully being quiet. It would be
> nice to know what's going on at the very least ;(
>
> [1]
> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/qmwovarkjgvxyibslajl@forum.dlang.org

My guess, and this is purely a guess, is that they got
discouraged by how few people paid attention to the Vision
document or donated to the foundation on Opencollective and
haven't bothered with this stuff since.

I think that's a mistake, as you may need to do this stuff for
awhile before it picks up. In any case, I don't care that it
isn't happening, as I always said that it's better to have
decentralized bounties, like we had on bountysource, rather than
centralized funding through the D Foundation.

Maybe the upcoming targeted campaigns will be a good middle
ground, in that you will be able to directly contribute to
specific targets:

https://dlang.org/blog/2018/07/13/funding-code-d/