Wed Oct 17 - Avoiding Code Smells by Walter Bright

FooledDonor fooleddonor at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 11:36:39 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 3 November 2018 at 16:21:36 UTC, Neia Neutuladh
wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 11:24:06 +0000, FooledDonor wrote:
>> And if the validity of a person's reasoning is a function of
>> his way of expressing them, well ... do not pose to software
>> engineers at least
>
> If you want other people to do work for you, you need to
> convince them to do it. This is an open source project, so the
> appropriate way of doing this is with good reasoning and
> examples, not by insulting people.

The answer to your "if" is: NO, this is not the topic.

The argument is: does the induction of a true "private" attribute
add value to the language or not? It is possible to discuss, in
these forums, or everything must be truncated with "if you want
to do it, and best wishes to convince then W & A"

> This is true even if the feature seems obviously good and
> necessary to one or two people, if those people don't have
> abnormally large influence over the project.

Nothing is "necessary" to a language outside "turing
completeness".

Can we argue about the problems arising from the potential
introduction of this feature?