Wed Oct 17 - Avoiding Code Smells by Walter Bright

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Sun Nov 4 15:40:03 UTC 2018

On Sun, 04 Nov 2018 11:36:39 +0000, FooledDonor wrote:
> Can we argue about the problems arising from the potential introduction
> of this feature?

There are many potential features that wouldn't cause problems in
isolation. Should we add all of them? Obviously not; the result would be a
horribly complex language that takes too much time to learn and is
impossible to maintain.

So instead, we need to aggressively filter out potential added features to
ensure that what they add is sufficiently important to justify later
maintenance costs and the effort of learning things.

The justification for this feature rests on real-world examples of bugs
that have been caused by its lack.