Profiling DMD's Compilation Time with dmdprof

Patrick Schluter Patrick.Schluter at bbox.fr
Wed Nov 7 12:46:52 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 6 November 2018 at 21:52:30 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 07:44:41PM +0000, Atila Neves via
> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 6 November 2018 at 18:00:22 UTC, Vladimir
>> Panteleev wrote:
>> > This is a tool + article I wrote in February, but never got
>> > around to finishing / publishing until today.
>> >
>> > https://blog.thecybershadow.net/2018/02/07/dmdprof/
>> >
>> > Hopefully someone will find it useful.
>>
>> Awesome, great work!
>>
>> I really really hate waiting for the compiler.
>
> OTOH, I really really hate that the compiler, in the name of
> faster compilation, eats up all available RAM and gets
> OOM-killed on a low memory system, so no amount of waiting will
> get me an executable.

Now that the compiler is completely in D, wouldn't it be a good
idea to activate the GC in the compiler. I know that it requires
some care for bootstrapping the compiler when there are
dependencies to the D runtime, but the compiler would be an
excellent example of the advantage of the GC (i.e. dumb fast
allocations as long as there's memory, collection when no memory
left which is miles away better than to get OOM-killed).