DIP 1015--Deprecation of Implicit Conversion of Int. & Char. Literals to bool--Formal Assement

Isaac S. spam-no-reply-isaac at outlook.com
Wed Nov 14 03:12:26 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 14 November 2018 at 03:02:48 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 11/13/2018 3:50 PM, Isaac S. wrote:
>> is asinine and ignorant.
>
> Some friendly advice - nobody is going to pay serious attention
> to articles that sum up with such unprofessional statements.
> Continuing the practice will just result in the moderators
> removing them.

I'm sorry that it is unkind but I came to D because I found it to
be an extremely well-designed language. Seeing something like
10560 be declared as "correct" is really disheartening because
it's _obviously_ a design flaw (and should thus be fixed).

Regardless of my unprofessional attitude (I do apologize; I
normally try to be professional but something like this is really
irritating): why should an enum not convert to its declared type,
rather than blindly using its literal value. Just using the
literal value discards the secondary-type information the
programmer had given it.