DIP 1015--Deprecation of Implicit Conversion of Int. & Char. Literals to bool--Formal Assement

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Nov 14 04:49:16 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 9:27:29 PM MST Nicholas Wilson via
Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 November 2018 at 04:24:20 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > Given how strong the negative response is to this and how
> > incomprenhensible a number of us find the reasoning behind how
> > bool functions in some scenarios, Walter probably does need to
> > sit back and think about this, but using words like asinine is
> > pretty much always uncalled for in a professional discussion. I
> > can very much understand Isaac's frustration, but making
> > statements like that really is the sort of thing that comes
> > across as attacking the poster and is going to tend to result
> > in folks not listening to your arguments anymore, even if
> > they're well-reasoned and logical. It's already hard enough to
> > convince people when your arguments are solid without getting
> > anything into the mix that could come across as insulting.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> asinine, adjective: extremely stupid or foolish. Is there some
> additional connotation I am missing on this living
> (comparatively) in the middle of nowhere? (Genuine question.)

Not AFAIK, but calling someone or something extremely stupid or foolish is
almost always a terrible idea in a professional discussion (or pretty much
any discussion that you want to be civil) - especially if it can be
interpreted as calling the person stupid or foolish. That's just throwing
insults around. If an idea or decision is bad, then it should be shown as to
why it's bad, and if it is indeed a terrible idea, then the arguments
themselves should make that obvious without needing to throw insults around.

It's not always easy to avoid calling ideas stupid when you get emotional
about something, but the stronger the language used, the more likely it is
that you're going to get a strong emotional response out of the other person
rather than a logical, reasoned discussion that can come to a useful
conclusion rather than a flame war, and asinine is a pretty strong word.
It's the sort of word that's going to tend to get people mad and insulted
rather than help with a logical argument in any way - which is why Walter
called in unprofessional.

- Jonathan M Davis