D compilation is too slow and I am forking the compiler

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:35:02 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 21 November 2018 at 08:07:52 UTC, Vladimir
Panteleev wrote:
> https://blog.thecybershadow.net/2018/11/18/d-compilation-is-too-slow-and-i-am-forking-the-compiler/

Very interesting.

I'm also currently working on a project to save my bloodstream
from the cortisol drip that happens when anything a computer does
takes over a second, which these days means waiting for dmd to
compile my code so I can see the result of the tests. I'll share
more details when I have time.

But: one of the things I want to do is a version of this /
precompiled headers. I've complained before that compiling
std.path with -unittest takes forever (0.5s or so, and most of it
due to std.uni). That's a price I pay every time I make a one
line change to any file, and the linker hasn't even been invoked
yet. Here's the thing: Phobos only changes from one release to
the next. Why am I waiting to recompile a read-only file that
won't change unless I update the compiler, over and over again?

I'd love it if I could precompile Phobos and just use the
digested information every time I'm iterating.