D compilation is too slow and I am forking the compiler

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 16:12:36 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 27 November 2018 at 14:19:12 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> As Laeeth always says, you're best off looking for people
> who're actually capable and empowered to make such risky
> decisions, rather than aiming for the majority too early,
> because they only jump on board once the bandwagon is stuffed
> and rolling downhill.

I get the (I read "D compilation is slow" + "I'm not interested")
vibe from people that actually _are_ early adopters, very
interested in programming, who adopted Scala and Nim despite
obvious risks.

I disagree with your opinion but just lacks the time to defend my
own in a lengthy forum post. Let me make a giant argument by
authority: I sell B2C software for a living. Convincing people to
try software despite their will is what I do for a living. "Build
it and they will come" would be a fantasy to believe if we hadn't
competitors who had people come way before they built it.

Complicated triple negation arguments (D compile fast! no wait,
it compiles slowly! no wait, it compiles fast!) don't work. In a
few months whenever someone bring out D, forum replies will say
"but D compilation is not that fast".