D compilation is too slow and I am forking the compiler

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 13:30:37 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 28 November 2018 at 12:48:46 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
wrote:

> Nassim Taleb raises the question of how do you choose between
> two surgeons, both recommended.  One looks the part and hangs
> his many certificates on his office wall.  The other looks
> scruffy with the appearance of a tradesman.  Who do you pick?
> Taleb says pick the guy who doesn't look the part because if he
> got there without signalling he must have something going for
> him.

It's definately the kind of surgeon one should choose -
programmers that are not necessarily well groomed etc.. - but is
it the kind of surgeon people will actually recommend? I'm
doubtful.

If X has the social signalling then people will recommend X even
without trying, because it's socially safe.

If one doesn't have the signalling, I've found the hard way even
supporters will hesitate a bit before making recommendations,
because of the social standing _cost_ it may have.

But then, perhaps recommendations don't matter, because opinions
don't matter much? I think they matter to be even heard on public
places.

And I think early adopters need a nudge, the influent need to be
bothered by less influents (influencers are not especially on the
lookout for new options, as they are already influent). Above all
I think the niche of early-adopters is smaller than the larger
market for languages, and the early-adopters are going elsewhere.