D compilation is too slow and I am forking the compiler

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 14:46:03 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 29 November 2018 at 09:18:35 UTC, Laeeth isharc
wrote:

> The innovator's dilemma, which is really an insight that dates
> back to Toynbee, and before that Ibn Khaldun, is not so
> obvious.  I am not sure that you have understood it.  I suggest
> reading the book if you are interested, but otherwise I
> unfortunately don't have so much time at the moment to try to
> persuade you of what this phenomenon is like and there's
> limited value to talking about talking rather than having a
> discussion based on a shared understanding of what this is
> about.

No, indeed I've not read about it (yet, it looks like a tale of
our lives).

My market has indeed a distribution where the best customer
brings 3:1 vs the average, it's not inf:1 like it would be in
programming language "customers". "Impulse buy" is predominent
too, which does not exist for technical decisions.

I understand that a few big players will bring a lot more than
hundreds of smaller ones. Especially if the smaller ones keep
writing on the D newsgroup :)

In my market too, I prefer if D is kind of unpopular! I don't
tell details to competitors other than "works for me". And they
aren't much interested, which is satisfying.

This secrecy has to be balanced by the fact we have to hire, and
D being a critical piece of infrastructure I'd like it to simply
receive more money, being a small player I contribute what I can
to the Foundation - and direct others that came to Dplug to do so.