Iain Buclaw at GNU Tools Cauldron 2018

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Mon Oct 8 05:12:03 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 at 15:41:43 UTC, greentea wrote:
> Date: September 7 to 9, 2018.
> Location: Manchester, UK
>
> GDC - D front-end GCC
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXRJJ_lrSxE

Thanks for the link, just watched the whole video. The first
half-hour sets the standard as an intro to the language, as only
a compiler developer other than the main implementer could give,
ie someone with fresh eyes.

I loved that Iain started off with a list of real-world projects.
That's a mistake a lot of tech talks make, ie not motivating
_why_ anybody should care about their tech and simply diving into
the tech itself. I hadn't heard some of that info either, great
way to begin.

My only nitpick is that I wish he'd emphasized how much of a
focus D puts on metaprogramming, as I've noticed a lot of
comments on proggit/HN/etc. saying that the power and ease of use
of D's metaprogramming really stood out for them when trying the
language.