Iain Buclaw at GNU Tools Cauldron 2018

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Mon Oct 8 05:48:52 UTC 2018

On Monday, 8 October 2018 at 05:12:03 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 October 2018 at 15:41:43 UTC, greentea wrote:
>> Date: September 7 to 9, 2018.
>> Location: Manchester, UK
>>
>> GDC - D front-end GCC
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXRJJ_lrSxE
>
> Thanks for the link, just watched the whole video. The first
> half-hour sets the standard as an intro to the language, as
> only a compiler developer other than the main implementer could
> give, ie someone with fresh eyes.
>
> I loved that Iain started off with a list of real-world
> projects. That's a mistake a lot of tech talks make, ie not
> motivating _why_ anybody should care about their tech and
> simply diving into the tech itself. I hadn't heard some of that
> info either, great way to begin.

I agree, a very nice talk, including the way the motivation part
of was handled. I especially liked the example of the group who
typically used Python for rapid prototyping, then re-wrote in C++
for production, who upon trying D for a prototype, were
pleasantly surprised it was performant enough for production.