New Initiative for Donations

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 09:18:58 UTC 2018

I have put out a few times that we want to start launching
targeted fundraising campaigns. Head over to the donate page and
you'll notice a new option.

https://dlang.org/foundation/donate.html

Flipcause provide a service aimed at assisting non-profits with
fundraising. That's their core service anyway. There are other
features built around it.

Part of that service includes targeted campaigns of the nature we
want to start pushing, as well as the resources to create
accompanying banners and other images. They also support
peer-to-peer fundraising (which I hope to make use of in the
future), ticket sales for events like DConf, online stores, and
more.

The tile you see on the donate page is itself a campaign, a
general fund campaign that I will keep open permanently. I'll
soon be launching targeted campaigns that you can choose to
support.

It's not a free service, obviously. We're currently on a free
trial, but the Foundation will ultimately be paying $150/month.
That's a significant investment and one that turned me off from
evaluating the service when they first contacted the Foundation
earlier this year. However, after evaluating their total package
and some of the services they have in planning, it seems likely
that the Foundation can stretch donated dollars farther in the
long run than is possible now across the services currently in
use. For example, with Open Collective we're paying 10% plus a
2-3% transaction fee per donation). Flipcause of course has
credit card transaction fees, but they allow donors the option of
covering it and further provide a guaranteed minimum for us such
that if not enough donors cover the fees to meet the minimum
total from all donations in a given period, they'll refund us the
difference.

In order to see that benefit, we'll need for a majority of our
donations to come in through Flipcause. The other options aren't
going away, but if you are considering a new donation to the D
Language Foundation, choosing to send it through Flipcause will
be a bigger help right now.

So I encourage all potential donors to please consider the
Flipcause option, even if you've donated through one of the other
options in the past. And yes, if you donate through Flipcause you
can still get the benefits listed in the descriptions of the
donor levels on our Open Collective page:

https://opencollective.com/dlang

And the direct link to the general fund campaign:

https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/NDMzMzE=