New Initiative for Donations

Laeeth Isharc Laeeth at laeeth.com
Sun Oct 28 13:36:12 UTC 2018

On Friday, 26 October 2018 at 06:19:29 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Friday, 26 October 2018 at 05:47:05 UTC, Neia Neutuladh
> wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 02:38:08 +0000, Joakim wrote:
>>> As with D, sometimes the new _is_ better, so perhaps you
>>> shouldn't assume old is better either.
>>
>> There's no assuming going on. Cryptocurrencies are worse than
>> credit cards for everything that normal people care about,
>
> Such as? I already noted that they're easier and cheaper, you
> simply flatly state that "normal people" find them worse.
>
>> and they're better than credit cards for illegal transactions.
>
> Yes, just like cash, and have other benefits that come with
> cash too.
>
>> This might eventually change, and we can re-evaluate then.
>>
>> If for some reason cryptocurrencies become popular and
>> sufficiently stable to be used as currency, I have no doubt
>> that existing credit card companies will start offering
>> automatic currency exchange, so you can have an account in USD
>> and pay a vendor who accepts only Ethereum, or vice versa. As
>> such, accepting credit card payments is good enough.
>
> I don't know what we'd be waiting for, the tokens I mentioned
> are all worth billions and widely used, particularly by techies:
>
> https://coinmarketcap.com
>
> Why would I wait for antiquated credit-card companies to accept
> these tokens? The whole point of these new tokens is to
> obsolete the credit card companies.

Cryptocurrencies are worse is better for some people in some
contexts.  HSBC started the process of shutting down my company
bank account because payments to programmers in Russia triggered
some alerts and you get caught up in this Kafkaesque maze where
there is nobody reasonable to talk to.  I wrote to the Chairman
in Hong Kong and only then could I get them to see reason and
apologize.  So for making payments to Russia, yes if the other
side accepts them, worse is better in this case.  For Venezuela
or some African countries worse is obviously better quite a lot
of the time. For making smaller payments overseas
cryptocurrencies with low fees like BCH can be more efficient
than a bank wire, even in the West.

As regards particular currencies, deadalnix, member of the D
community and creator of SDC compiler project is the man behind
Bitcoin ABC, the largest Bitcoin Cash client, and one of the key
people technically for Bitcoin Cash overall.