DIP Draft Reviews

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 23:59:04 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 6 September 2018 at 17:44:28 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Of course, what further complicates things here is that the
> author is Walter, and ultimately, it's Walter and Andrei who
> make the decision on their own. And if Walter doesn't respond
> to any of the feedback or address it in the DIP, it all comes
> across as if the DIP itself is just a formality. The fact that
> he wrote a DIP and presented it for feedback is definitely
> better than him simply implementing it, since it does give him
> the chance to get feedback on the plan and improve upon it, but
> if he then doesn't change anything or even respond to any of
> the review comments, then it makes it seem kind of pointless
> that he bothered with a DIP. At that point, it just serves as
> documentation of his intentions.
>
> This is all in stark contrast to the case where someone other
> than Walter or Andrei wrote the DIP, and the author doesn't
> bother to even respond to the feedback let alone incorporate
> it, since they then at least still have to get the DIP past
> Walter and Andrei, and if the DIP has not taken any of the
> feedback into account, then presumably, it stands a much worse
> chance of making it through. On the other hand, if the DIP
> comes from Walter or Andrei, they only have the other person to
> convince, and that makes it at least seem like there's a decent
> chance that it's just going to be rubber-stamped when the DIP
> author doesn't even respond to feedback.
>
> I think that it's great for Walter and Andrei to need to put
> big changes through the DIP process just like the rest of us
> do, but given that they're the only ones deciding what's
> accepted, it makes the whole thing rather weird when a DIP
> comes from them.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

If Walter had tried to implement this w/o a DIP, that would have
been among the first reviews received, so it is good that he's
has done it as a DIP. But not using it for improving the design
is almost as bad.

I view this DIP like DIP1000 but worse: at least with DIP1000
there was clear motivation, and despite any breakage and poor
documentation of continued changes due to unforeseen
requirements, it solves a real problem and has bought real value.
It could have been handled much better, but is a net positive IMO.

DIP1017 OTOH has flawed/unsubstantiated motivation, will break
lots of code, and solves a problem that is already solved by
GDC/LDC where the only benefit other that documentation is faster
code and could be solved in the same way as GDC/LDC with none of
the breakage and complications.
Any marginal benefits in speed of compiled code for DMD _only_
(which is not why one uses DMD) comes at the cost of:
opportunity cost of development/review and ongoing implementation
fixes;
unknown but probably very large code breakages;
slower compile times for all three compilers;
increased complexity in the type system and for new users;
and all the other reasons listed in the draft and community
review.
IMO, a very much net negative

I now understand why Mihails left over DIP1000...