Copy Constructor DIP and implementation

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 14:27:16 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 11 September 2018 at 15:08:33 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have finished writing the last details of the copy
> constructor DIP[1] and also I have published the first
> implementation [2]. As I wrongfully made a PR for the DIP queue
> in the early stages of the development of the DIP, I want to
> announce this way that the DIP is ready for the draft review
> now. Those who are familiar with the compiler, please take a
> look at the implementation and help me improve it!
>
> Thanks,
> RazvanN
>
> [1] https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/pull/129
> [2] https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8688

If @implicit is the contentious part of this DIP, maybe it would
be a good idea for us to instead use a `pragma(copyCtor)` or the
like to avoid having to add another attribute while preserving
backward-compatibility. Like @implicit, it's very easy to turn
existing constructors into copy constructors just by adding the
pragma, and they can be added to code with impunity because even
older versions of the compiler will just ignore pragmas they
don't recognize.