New DConf Blog Post

matheus m at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 16:42:50 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 7 April 2019 at 07:03:34 UTC, bauss wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 April 2019 at 06:19:31 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> On Saturday, 6 April 2019 at 22:30:58 UTC, bauss wrote:
>>>
>>> The design is terrible and it really looks unprofessional.
>>>
>>> While the old site wasn't responsive, the design was at least
>>> slightly better.
>>>
>>> It just doesn't look very well done.
>>>
>>> I'm not trying to be negative or anything, but it looks like
>>> someone who just learn html/css in 1999 tried to make the
>>> design of the page.
>>
>> Perhaps raising money to pay an experienced web designer would
>> be a good topic for a fundraiser later this year.
>
> I think that would be a great idea. I'd tip in with some cash
> for that.

Design is a complicated matter and thankfully I'm mostly back-end
developer.

But one thing that I see around here is a excess of borders in
the layout which may sound dated and for me a visual pollution.

For example let's take this Forum (https://forum.dlang.org):

Starting with the names:

D Programming Language - New users
D Programming Language - Community
D Programming Language - Ecosystem
.
.
.

Why "D Programming Language" + Something?

I think it's pretty obvious when someone is here that they are
accessing a D Programming Language Forum.

Like I said above I think this forums has an excess of borders
and I'd prefer something like this:
https://i.imgur.com/OQCPojN.png than what you have today, but
this is a personal taste.

But I asked a friend who design pages for living and he agreed.
In fact he said that we should get rid of "Threads, Posts"
columns too, or may give a light background color according the
Topic (New users, Community etc.).

By the way the Forum is my main grip today when using mobile.

Matheus.